Wetlands are natural treasures, but unfortunately have long been misunderstood and undervalued. Few people recognize that wetlands provide water purification, flood prevention, habitat for extraordinary biodiversity, recreational opportunities, and more all for free.
Through the Wetland Treasures of the Carolinas program, CarWA seeks to increase public awareness and appreciation of wetlands, and to generate community pride in and commitment to stewardship of wetlands that have regional, national and even international importance.
Each May during American Wetlands Month, CarWA will recognize several wetland sites in North Carolina and South Carolina. The long-term goal is to recognize high quality representatives of each of the wetland types found in each ecoregion of North and South Carolina (Mountains, Piedmont and Coastal Plain). Collectively, Wetland Treasures will represent the wetland heritage of the Carolinas.
Interactive Map of Wetland Treasures
- Antioch Bay (Hoke County, NC)
- Black River Swamp (Bladen, Pender and Sampson Counties, NC)
- Bluff Mountain Fen (Ashe County, NC)
- Croatan National Forest (Craven, Carteret, and Jones counties, NC)
- Green Swamp (Brunswick County, NC)
- Hemlock Bluffs (Wake County, NC)
- Kanuga Bog (Henderson County, NC)
- Mason Farm Wetlands (Orange County, NC)
- Merchants Millpond (Gates County, NC)
- Phelps Lake Shoreline (Washington County, NC)
- Pink Beds Bog (Pisgah National Forest, NC)
- Robertson Millpond (Wake County, NC)
- Scuppernong River Swamp (Tyrrell County, NC)
- Congaree National Park (Richland County, SC)
- Francis Beidler Forest (Dorchester County, SC)
- Hobcaw Barony Wetlands (Georgetown County, SC)
- Lewis Ocean Bay (Horry County, SC)
- Santee Coastal Preserve (Charleston County, SC)
- Sparkleberry Swamp in (Lake Marion, SC)
- Woods Bay (Florence, Clarendon, and Sumter counties, SC)
CarWA thanks Wisconsin Wetlands Association, whose Wetland Gems program (wisconsinwetlands.org/gems.htm) is the model for this program.
Photo Credit: William Conner, Hobcaw Barony Wetlands (Georgetown County, SC)