Each May during American Wetlands Month, CarWA will recognize several wetland sites in North Carolina and South Carolina. The long-term goal is to recognize high quality representatives of each of the wetland types found in each ecoregion of North and South Carolina (Mountains, Piedmont and Coastal Plain). Collectively, Wetland Treasures will represent the wetland heritage of the Carolinas.
2017 Wetland Treasures
We are thrilled to recognize and celebrate our second class of Wetland Treasures sites! Click the links below to open a fact sheet and learn about the ecology, significance, flora and fauna, and more for each site:
- Congaree National Park (Richland County, SC)
- Hobcaw Barony Wetlands (Georgetown County, SC)
- Kanuga Bog (Henderson County, NC)
- Robertson Mill Pond (Wake County, NC)
- Scuppernong River Wetlands (Tyrrell County, NC)
Click here to find to sign up for field tours!